GLOBAL YOUTH LED CAMPAIGN TO SAVE BUGOMA FOREST
Dear prospective partner,
On the 15t of September 2020 youth led organizations will launch a campaign to save Bugoma forest dubbed:
“Global Youth Led Campaign to Save Bugoma Forest”
which will be held in Kampala Uganda.
The campaign will unite global youth voices to save Bugoma forest.
Why Bugoma Forest?
Bugoma forest is the largest remaining block of natural tropical forest along the Albertine Rift Valley. The forest covers 401 square kilometers, with over 34 species of mammal, 225 species of bird, 260 species of tree, and 500 chimpanzees, Among other primates, Bugoma hosts a population of Ugandan mangabeys, endemic to only this forest therefore a unique treasure. Facts are clear that Kibale district (before separation) where Bugoma forest is found had the most tree cover loss between 2001 and last year at 78.4kha compared to an average of 14.6kha.
This forest is worth saving, we can't let it go to a sugarcane company or else we risk losing biodiversity.
Given the fact that the area is already affected by the oil pipeline, Bugoma Central Forest Reserve is on the verge of being traded and destroyed for sugarcane growing.
Two companies, namely Hoima Sugar Ltd and MZ Agencies, are in the process of cutting down over 10,000 hectares of the over 41,000 hectares-Bugoma forest for sugarcane growing.
In the face of the above, Hoima Sugar Ltd approved Terms of Reference (ToR) from the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA). The company acquired an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) certificate of approval from NEMA.
Activities to destroy the forest have started and this is why we urgently need you to join us now.
What does the campaign seek to achieve?
We want the immediate:
- Resignation of the Executive Director of the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
- Reversing of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) certificate issued to Hoima sugar by NEMA.
- Government to use its powers to repossess all the land where Bugoma forest is sitting
- Join online activism with the hashtags: #SaveBugomaForest, #BugomaForestLifeMatters
- Write opinion pieces, articles, letter or an OPED
- Record a video of solidarity with the campaign
- Fund raise for activities on ground
- Create materials like T-shorts, caps, banners or anything with the campaign hashtags
- Sponsor an activity.
If you are interested, please fill the following form and indicate the role/s you would like to play.
We will be in touch with more details.
Yours in solidarity
Fridays for Future Uganda