The first Greece New European Bauhaus Festival in June 2022
The Festival brings together people from all walks of life to debate and shape our future.
A future that is sustainable, inclusive and beautiful. It is a great opportunity to network, exchange and celebrate – from science to art, from design to politics, from architecture to technology.
The New European Bauhaus initiative is now moving from the co-design phase, which collected more than 2,000 pieces of insight from all over Europe during the first six months of 2021, to the delivery phase. The communication from the European Commission on the New European Bauhaus shared in mid September creates the framework for actions to follow.
One of the actions will be an annual Festival to further strengthen the community of organisations and individuals committed to be part of the NEB family, to showcase outcomes of NEB around Europe and to communicate beyond Europe that Europe is positioning itself as the global reference for sustainable transformation of our living environments.
Here is what we know so far
- The first NEB Festival, to be organised and financed by the European Commission, will take place early June 2022. Exact dates are to be confirmed but the Festival is expected to cover four to six days.
- The following editions will be based on a call for interest for places to organise the Festival, both within and beyond the EU.
- DG Research and Innovation is responsible for organizing the first edition. Contact points are Paola Momoli, Head of Unit Communication at DG RTD and Giuseppe Ruotolo, Deputy Head of the same unit.
- The first Festival will be a hybrid event. Onsite location will be Brussels. The exact venue is to be confirmed. Ideas for a-typical locations are welcomed. The online platform already exists, and has been tested in events for some years.
- Satellite events are encouraged to be organised especially by NEB partners all over Europe both simultaneously with the onsite events in Brussels in June, and time wise they can spread wider in 2022. How, when, what and who is yet to be decided. A likely timing for the Commission to communicate on all this will be the beginning of the year 2022.
- An information session by the NEB Team and DG RTD was organised for NEB partners on 27 October. Some 175 organisations of the total 300+ NEB partners took part. Festivals have a charm, the number of participants is a definite sign of the big interest in the Festival, indicating that everyone yearns for concrete actions about the initiative.